SKYCTC EMPLOYEES HONORED BY TOYS FOR TOTS
Bowling Green, KY (September 9, 2015) United States Marine Corps Staff Sargent Anderson and Staff Sargent Caraway honored the faculty and staff of Southcentral Kentucky Community and Technical College (SKYCTC) for contributions made to Toys For Tots. Janel Doyle, Professor at SKYCTC, serves as the Program Coordinator for Toys For Tots in Southcentral Kentucky. Doyle is one of the few women across the country and the first civilian in Southcentral Kentucky to hold the position.
At a recent college wide gathering Doyle reported that in 2015:
- 175 areas businesses served as a toy drop off locations
- Almost 11,000 toys were donated at the 175 locations
- Volunteers helped shop for more than 2,000 toys
- SKYCTC, Camping World, and other community volunteers handled almost 1,000 telephone requests in Warren County alone. Susan Harmon, SKYCTC Professor, coordinated the telephone process.
- 100 s of volunteers manned the North Pole in Warren, Barren and Simpson Counties to help sort and distribute 11,000 toys.
- 5,500 children smiled on Christmas morning though all these generous contributions.
According to Doyle, Southcentral Kentucky Community and Technical College has the highest number of volunteers who help with Toy For Tots and we could not do the work we do without the support of our President, Dr. Neal.
Founded in 1947, by Major Bill Hendricks, Toys For Tots is a project of the United States Marine Corps with the mission to collect and distribute new toys to less fortunate children all across the United States.