Study Abroad

SKYCTC students who wish to have the experience of studying abroad, may participate in only Western Kentucky University faculty led programs, KIIS or CCSA programs , if you wish to receive financial aid (

Financing Study Abroad

Students who wish to participate in a study abroad program at SKYCTC must speak with a financial aid counselor so their eligibility may be determined. Grants and student loans may be used to cover study abroad expenses if eligibility permits.

If you wish to use your SKYCTC financial aid to help pay for a student abroad program, here are the steps you will need to follow:

  • Apply for financial aid by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and meet all requirements for file completion.
  • Apply for joint admission with WKU
  • A consortium agreement may be required before aid can be considered for classes taken as part of a study abroad program. The Student Financial Aid Office will contact you via your KCTCS email if this is needed.
  • Meet with your academic advisor to verify the study abroad course is required as part of your degree plan at SKYCTC.
  • Meet with campus student abroad representatives to explore the best study abroad options available if any.
  • If you are awarded financial aid, you will be responsible for paying WKU if SKYCTC awards your aid.

Scholarships for US Citizens to Study Abroad

Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship: Deadline is April 15th each year.

The Institute of International Education (IIE) is a congressionally funded program sponsored by the U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs. It is administered by IIE through its office in Houston, Texas.

The program awards grants of up to $5,000 for U.S.-citizen, undergraduate students to pursue study abroad opportunities worldwide. The Gilman Scholarship Program aims to diversify and expand participation in international education by assisting those students who have been traditionally under-represented in U.S. study abroad. This includes, but is not limited to students studying in non-traditional locations outside of Western Europe and Australia, students with high financial need, community college students, students with diverse ethnic backgrounds, students with disabilities, and students of non-traditional age.

To be eligible the applicant must be an undergraduate enrolled at a U.S. institution of higher education, and be receiving a Pell grant at the time of application. Applicants must be applying or accepted into a credit-eligible, single-country program. Programs must be between four weeks and one academic year in length. Students may apply to study in any nation with the exception of Cuba and those countries currently under a U.S. Department of State Travel Warning.

Preference is given to those students studying outside of the traditional study abroad destinations of Western Europe and Australia. Upcoming Deadline: The Fall cycle is open to students participating in programs that begin between July 15 and October 15, --excluding summer-only study abroad programs. The on-line application deadline is April 15 each year. To access the on-line application and time line please go to