News Archive


Artist rendering of proposed new building at SKYCTC.In labs, board rooms, hospitals, restaurants and manufacturing facilities across our region, Southcentral Kentucky Community and Technical College is at work in our community. Our alumni legacy has been one of productive careers and ensuring the economic development fabric supports a strong industrial and service foundation.

The paramount challenge facing SKYCTC is meeting the demands for a complex, well-trained workforce with limited space. Of the College s six campuses, the largest and fastest growing student population is located on the Main Campus, 1845 Loop Drive in Bowling Green.

In order to ensure the College s continuing legacy of learning, it was critical for SKYCTC to address the need for a new state-of-the-art instructional complex focused on science and medicine. In response, the College launched the BuildSmart campaign to raise $5.5 million in community support toward the project. This statewide initiative requires that 25 percent of the total scope of the project be raised by the local college before agency bonds are issued for the remaining 75 percent. The total scope of the SKYCTC Main Campus project is $22 million.

This is an opportunity that we have as businesses, as a community, to make this college a showpiece , says Trace Die Cast founder and BuildSmart Campaign Chairman, Lowell Guthrie. As a result we will have better workers, a better community, and everyone will benefit .

The new 72,000 square foot complex will house nursing and health science classrooms, and engineering and chemistry labs that will utilize the latest technology and flexibility to create a learning environment that meets the demands of students today and in the future. A caf , patio and outdoor courtyard, in addition to a new Welcome Center, Career and Academic Planning Center, library and learning commons, will enrich the campus experience for students and open up a number of possibilities for the community. The project is designed by Stengel Hill Architects and constructed by Codell. The structure will feature products aimed at saving energy, conserving resources and reducing environmental impact.

The BuildSmart campaign is nearing 50 percent of its goal with lead gifts pledged by The Medical Center, Franklin Bank amp; Trust Company, the Laura Goad Turner Charitable Foundation, Warren County Fiscal Court and a number of other donors. Faculty, staff, students, retirees and board members have also pledged their support to help make this project a reality.

Ground was broken for the new building in June this year with plans for the grand opening in late 2017. Students will begin the spring 2018 school semester in the new instructional complex.

For 75 years, SKYCTC s faculty and staff have challenged students to change their lives and our community for the better. Now, the College is challenging the community to do the same. With several opportunities to invest in the BuildSmart initiative, individuals, businesses, foundations and organizations can be permanently associated with the College s important work. Whether through a named giving opportunity or purchasing an engraved brick in the new courtyard, everyone has a chance to provide a meaningful, lasting tribute of support that will impact students for years to come.

For more information on supporting the new complex, contact SKYCTC Foundation Executive Director, Heather Rogers at 270/901-1116 or .