What is Surgical Technology?
Surgical technologists, also called operating room scrub nurses, assist in surgical operations. They work as members of a healthcare team alongside physicians and surgeons, registered nurses, and other healthcare workers. Surgical technologists prepare operating rooms, instrumentation, medications, and equipment to help doctors before, during, and after surgeries.
What are my career choices?
The surgical technologist works under medical supervision to facilitate the safe and effective conduct of invasive surgical procedures. This individual works under the supervision of a surgeon to ensure that the operating room environment is safe, that equipment functions properly, and that the operative procedure is conducted under conditions that maximize patient safety.
Credentials Available at SKYCTC
Surgical Technology: 60-65 Total Credit Hours
- BIO 137 Human Anatomy and Physiology I
- BIO 139 Human Anatomy and Physiology II
- BIO 225 Medical Microbiology or BIO 118 Microbes in Society
- AHS 115 Medical Terminology
- Quantitative Reasoning MAT 110 or higher
- ENG 101 Writing I
- FYE 110 First Year Experience (required elective, counts as digital literacy)
- Gen Ed Social and Behavioral Sciences
- Gen Ed Heritage/Humanities
Fall Term: After Program Admission
- SUR 100 Surgical Technology Fundamentals/Theory
- SUR 101 Surgical Technology Fundamentals Lab
- SUR 103 Surgical Technology Didactic Practicum
- SUR 125 Surgical Technology Skills Practicum I
- SUR 130 Principles of Surgical Pharmacology
- SUR 200 Surgical Technology Advanced Theory
- SUR 201 Surgical Technology Skills Practicum II
- SUR 275 Surgical Technology Advanced Clinical Practicum
64-65 Total Credit Hours.
- Misc. (Graduation Fees, Exit Exams)***
Total Cost Estimate $13,205.00***
*Tuition is based on $169.00 per credit hour and is calculated on maximum credit hours.
**KCTCS BuildSmart Investment for Kentucky Competitiveness Fee of $8.00 per credit hour.
***Represents an approximate cost.
Certification Pass Rates
ARC/STSA Pass Rate Threshold= 70%
- 2013-2014 - 87%
- 2014-2015 - 78%
- 2015-2016 - 94%
- 2016-2017 - 100%
- 2017-2018 - 100%
This program has specific requirements that must be completed before acceptance into the program. You must view the Online Information Session which overviews the program and requirements. After viewing the online information session, you must contact the Allied Health & Nursing Administrative Assistant, SKYCTC Main Campus Building L, Room 223, to get an Application and Viewing Verification form for the Surgical Technology Program.
Length of Program
You can earn an associate in applied science degree in two years if you maintain full-time status.