Constitution and By-Laws of Southcentral Kentucky Community and Technical College Student Government Association
We, the students of Southcentral Kentucky Community & Technical College, in order to further development of the ideals, mission, and objective of the College and its students, ensure a self-governing organization based on mutual respect of the students, administration, faculty, and staff, and to promote the integrity of Southcentral Ke11tucky Community & Technical College, with the realization that an effective and responsible Student Government can help accomplish these goals, do hereby adopt this constitution.
The objective of this Association shall be:
- To furnish a body of student representatives to reflect the opinions and wishes of the student body at large and to provide a medium through which student opinions may be presented to SKYCTC Administration and Board of Directors.
- To coordinate and maintain student activities:
- By approving or rejecting proposed student activities in compliance with the goals and policies of SKYCTC and KCTCS.
- By making recommendations concerning control of approved activities.
- By making recommendations in matters of difference between student organizations, or between student organizations and the faculty and/or administration concerning student activities.
- To promote administration policy, which is acceptable to the student body, and to create an interest in college affairs among the students.
- To inform students, faculty, and administration of events and activities concerning SKYCTC and its students.
The organization of the SGA shall be:
- Executive Branch: The Executive Committee of the SGA shall be composed of the President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer and Sergeant-at-Arms.
- Legislative Branch: The Legislative Branch of the SGA shall be composed of, but not limited to, two representatives from each academic division, one representative from each officially recognized SKYCTC clubs/organizations, and one at-large representative from each off-site location.
- Membership: The SGA may not be discriminatory in its membership due to race, gender, disability, sexual orientation, or religion. All students who meet the stated requirements are eligible for membership.
- Qualification for Membership: To be eligible to stand for election and to serve as
a delegate or officer, an individual shall be a full-time student and shall not be
on academic or disciplinary probation. To be eligible to serve in the following offices,
the additional requirements must be met:
- President/Vice President: 12 credit-hours and a 3.0 GPA. Due to the level of responsibility and commitment, the nominees can only be President of SGA if he/she is not President of any other organization.
- Secretary/Treasurer: 12 credit-hours and a 2.5 GPA.
- Parliamentarian: 12 credit-hours and a 2.5 GPA.
- Student Representative: A student representative must be at least a part-time (6 credit hours) student with a 2.0 GPA. Transfer and Dual Credit students are eligible within the first semester as credential seeking students.
The SGA shall conduct an election in which the Student Body at large will elect a President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer and Sergeant-at-Arms.
- Nominations: Vacant positions will be posted in which students may self-nominate or be nominated by faculty and staff or by fellow students.
- Election of Officers: The President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer and Sergeant-at Arms for the following year shall be elected during the spring semester. The elections shall preferably be held in the second week of March. The Elections Committee shall conduct nominations and elections and determine the final date and place of voting. The entire body of SKYCTC shall have the right and opportunity to vote in elections for SGA officers.
- Election of Student Representatives: The students will have the opportunity to run and campaign for one week. The interested students will fill out an information sheet. Elections will be held during the second week.
- Ballots: Ballots will be available to the entire student body and shall consist of the names of the candidates and the title of their nominated position. *If no nominations or votes are cast, the Faculty/Staff advisor reserves the right to recruit/appoint a qualified candidate for the vacant position.
- Student Votes: To be Legislative & Executive Branch officers, the candidate must receive a majority of the student body votes cast for the office for which they are a candidate.
- Challenge of Election Results: Any challenge to the validity of the election results shall be made in writing to the Student Government Elections Committee within five (5) days following the election. The Elections Committee and the Dean of Student Affairs or Faculty/Staff Advisor shall try all challenges and recommend action to the SGA. *If no nominations or votes are cast, the Faculty/Staff advisor and Dean of Students Affairs reserve the right to recruit/appoint a qualified candidate for the vacant position.
- Representatives: When a vacancy occurs, a representative delegate shall be selected from the former candidates on file. The candidates on file with the highest recorded number of votes received, but not elected in the fall/spring elections, will become an active representative, if interested.
- Officers: If a vacancy occurs, current officers first have the option to remain in their position. When a vacancy occurs in the Presidency, the Vice President shall become President, and a new Vice President shall be elected in the manner previously stated. If a vacancy should occur in the offices of both the President and Vice President, the Secretary/Treasurer shall become President, and a new Vice President and Secretary/Treasurer shall be elected in the same manner. Should a vacancy occur in the offices of President, Vice President, and Secretary/Treasurer concurrently, the Sergeant-at-Arms shall become President, and a new Vice President, Secretary/Treasurer, and Sergeant-at-Arms shall be elected in the same manner. All appointments are temporary until new elections are held.
- Terms of Officers: Executive Committee Officers are elected for a one-year term but may serve two consecutive terms. The term of office shall coincide with the academic calendar from May-April 30.
- President: The President shall be the official representative of the student body in college affairs, shall serve as chairman of the Executive Committee, shall preside over all meetings of the council, shall oversee all committees and their respective chairs, shall call all special meetings of the SGA, and shall perform such other duties as normally befall the office of President. The President shall also serve as the chairman of the Elections Committee and the Student Representative on the Board of Directors and fulfill any duties that position may entail.
- Vice President: The Vice President shall assume all the responsibilities and powers of the President in the absence of the President and shall perform such executive duties as may be delegated by the President. The Vice President shall serve as the chairman of the Membership Committee.
- Secretary: The Secretary shall record and circulate the minutes of all meetings. The Secretary shall notify all members upon the call of a special meeting, shall circulate all documents, shall notify members of their appointments to committees, shall prepare an agenda for the use of the President at each meeting, shall call roll at each meeting, and shall perform other duties assigned by the President. The Secretary shall serve as the chairman of the Public Relations Committee. *Should the position of Treasurer not be filled, the Secretary shall assume responsibility for both their position and the position of the Treasurer until that position is filled. The Secretary will also become the Chairman of the Finance Committee until a Treasurer is elected.
- Treasurer: The Treasurer shall record and track all financial transactions within the SGA fiscal account. All expenditures shall be approved by the SGA President and the faculty/ staff advisor under KCTCS regulations and shall inform the SGA of the continuing status of its fiscal affairs. The Treasurer shall serve as Chairman of the Finance Committee.
- Parliamentarian: Shall maintain orderly conduct at all meetings and update the By laws and Constitution of the SGA, as necessary. The Parliamentarian shall serve as Chairman of the By-Laws Committee.
- Parliamentary Authority: The latest edition of Robert's Rules of Order, Newly Revised, shall be the model by which the Association will conduct its meetings. A current copy shall be available for reference purposes.
- Time and Place: The SGA Executive Committee shall hold two (2) meetings per semester during the academic year. Special meetings may be called by the President, upon request of the Executive Committee, or upon written petition of seven SGA members. All SGA meetings shall be open unless otherwise stated.
- Closed Sessions: The Executive Committee may call SGA meetings into closed session if the matters being discussed are that of specific persons or budget matters of the Executive and Finance committees.
- Quorum: Fifty percent of the SGA membership shall constitute a quorum for the conducting of official business.
- Voting: Each member of the SGA shall have one (1) vote, except the President (or presiding officer), who may vote only to break a tie. In the case that a member should be absent, that member must send a vote via electronic KCTCS mail (e-mail) to the Elections Committee Chairperson or designated Faculty/Staff Advisor, if voting is scheduled. This shall serve as the SGA's proxy voting system.
- Penalties for Absence: Any voting delegate or officer missing two (2) consecutive meetings or a total of three (3) meetings during the academic year (unless previously excused) shall be removed from the SGA. Twenty-four hours' notice must be given to the Secretary for dismissal from the meeting. Excused absences will be determined by the vote of the Executive Committee.
SGA shall create committees as it deems necessary for the proper performance of duties. Any qualified student (see Article 3) shall be eligible for membership on committees as provided. The President shall make all committee member recommendations. Recommendations are subject to approval by the Executive Committee.
- Executive Committee: The Executive Committee shall be composed of the officers of the SGA, and shall meet at least once each month for the sole purpose of evaluating SGA activities.
- Finance Committee: The Finance Committee shall consist of the Treasurer as the Chairman and two members of SGA and shall meet at least once each month for the sole purpose of evaluating proposed fiscal activity and SGA business.
- Elections Committee: The Elections Committee shall consist of the President as the Chairman and two members of the SGA and shall meet at least once a month. The duties shall include conducting nominations and setting the final date and place of voting.
- Membership Committee: The Membership Committee shall consist of the Vice President as the Chairman and two members of the SGA and shall meet once a month. Other students may be appointed to this committee by the committee chair. Duties include planning and providing activities to promote membership from student body of SKYCTC.
- By-Laws Committee: The By-Laws Committee shall consist of the Parliamentarian as chairman and two members of SGA and shall meet at least once a month. Duties include making additions, corrections, and amendments to the Constitution and By-Laws.
- Public Relations Committee: The PR Committee shall consist of the Secretary as chairman and two members of SGA and shall meet at least once a month. Duties include creation and distribution of promotional and marketing materials and events for promotional and marketing material sponsored by SGA.
Faculty and Staff Advisors shall be appointed by the President of SKYCTC. The Faculty and Staff Advisors shall act as consultants to the SGA. Appointment will coincide with SGA elections.
Any member of the SGA or the Faculty and Staff Advisors may be impeached for neglect of duties and/or disregard for the ideals of the college by a two-thirds vote of the SGA. A final vote may not be called until at least one week after proceedings are instituted.
All changes in the Constitution and By-Laws shall be subject to the approval of the Executive Committee and Faculty and Staff Advisors of the SGA.
This Constitution may be amended by a fifty-percent vote of the SGA.
This Constitution shall be in effect immediately upon adoption by the SGA.
Created: November 2004
Updated: February 2014
SGA President: Codi Adams
Advisors: Denna White (staff) and Jessica Adams (faculty)
Senior Vice President of Student ad Organizational Success: Dr. Gerald Napoles