Work-Study | SKYCTC


Under the Federal Work-Study (FWS) Program, students can earn money for their education by working part-time, on-campus, while enrolled in school either full or part-time. If you are awarded a Federal Work-Study, you will earn the current federal minimum wage. Federal Work-Study funds are limited. Employment and/or positions are not guaranteed for all those who qualify or who apply.

FWS awards are deducted from your financial need/cost of attendance and the award is paid to the student via paycheck, per institution pay schedule. If you are awarded a FWS, the award amount listed on your award notification is the maximum you may earn during the award period. You are not guaranteed to earn this amount, but rather is a reasonable estimate of what you should be able to earn.

Your total FWS award depends on:

  1. when you apply
  2. your level of financial need/cost of attendance
  3. your school's funding level
  4. number of hours a week a student can work
  5. period of employment
  6. anticipated wage rate
  7. and a supervisor's willingness to hire you.

If you are interested in the Federal Work-Study program, please complete the following steps...

  1. Complete the FAFSA and your financial aid file at SKYCTC. You must have unmet financial need in order to qualify for FWS

  2. Maintain Standards of Academic Progress (SAP) as defined by KCTCS

  3. Complete Student Self-Service To Do list requirements

  4. Apply online for a FWS position

  5. Choose "Employment Opportunities" under Current Job Openings

  6. Choose "Student Worker Only-Financial Aid Job Listing"

  7. Click "Apply for this position"
    If you have not applied online for a job at SKYCTC previously, you will need to set up an account.

  8. Complete the application and submit.
    Please note: You must apply for FWS every year, even if you have been a FWS previously.
    Students will be contacted for an interview by the interested supervisors. Students will not be contacted unless chosen for an interview.

  9. Successfully complete a background check.

Please contact the Office of Financial Aid with further questions.