SKY Student Veteran Alliance
To provide military veterans and their families with the resources, support, and advocacy needed to succeed in higher education.
Membership in theSKY Student Veterans' Alliance will be open to all the Southcentral Kentucky Community and Technical College officially registered students in Bowling Green who are military veterans, spouses, and children, along with faculty and staff who are interested in supporting student veterans within the campus community. No person otherwise qualified shall be excluded from SVA membership on the basis of gender, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, religion, or disability, or any other protected class.
The SKY Veteran Alliance is for you if:
- You are an active duty or retired service member wanting to connect with other veterans on the SKY Campus.
- You are interested in learning more about veterans on our campus and local communities.
- You are interested in service and leadership opportunities (Great for your resume).
The purpose of the SVA- SKY Student Veteran Alliance at Southcentral Community & Technical College (hereafter known as the SVA Alliance)) is to provide a network of support to military veterans, their families and civilian supporters; secondly, to educate the community about the experiences of military veterans and work with the college administration to meet the needs of student veterans and prospective student veterans; thirdly, to cultivate student veterans concerns through scheduled meetings, advocacy, social and recreational activities; and finally, to foster esprit de corps among student veterans and promote an understanding of student veterans issues.
The goals and activities of the Association will consist of the following:
- Develop a resource guide that includes all forms, documents, lists of service organizations and contact information useful for veterans, prospective veterans and their families.
- Provide a peer support network for student veterans and their families.
- Educate the college community about the experiences of student veterans through presentations and other related events/activities.
- Work with the college administration to meet the needs of student veterans.
- Collaborate with professors to provide student veterans the opportunity to speak to classes.
- Provide services for disabled veterans.
- Provide outreach programs to potential student veterans.
- Work with the Department of Veterans Affairs, the Department of Defense, Veterans Service Organizations, and other military associations to provide information for student veterans and their families.
- Attend/participate in campus and local military recognition events and programs (Veterans Day, Memorial Day, etc. Get out and VOTE)
If interested, contact Julie.Katz@kctcs.edu advisor/ VA Certifying Official, (270)901-1052. BLDG “L” Rm 104-H, WELCOME CENTER/ Career & Academic Planning Center.