First Time VA Applicant | SKYCTC

First Time VA Applicant

  • Through the Veterans Assistance site any eligible student can make an application for VA Educational benefits.
  • We will provide assistance if you need help.
  • You should apply for benefits 60 to 90 days before the semester starts.  This gives the Department of Veterans Affairs plenty of time to process your claim in a timely manner.
  • The VA Regional office that processes for SKYCTC is in charge of 16 states and at times the volume can be high.
  • If you are relying on the Department of Veterans Affairs to assist you with tuition and fees, the latest you should apply is 60 days before the semester starts.
  • Any student applying after the 60 day time frame, should be prepared to pay their tuition and fees at the time of registration or sign-up on the payment plan.
  • Initial VA claims are submitted to the Department of Veterans Affairs by mail or electronically through the VA Benefits page.  The approximate processing time is about 4 to 6 weeks.
  • Once VA processes your claim they will provide you with an Award Letter or a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) letting you know your monthly allowance, policies, and procedures you need to follow to receive VA Educational benefits.
  • If you have previously used your VA benefits claim, this claim will be processed electronically and the approximate processing time with VA is about 15 to 20 working days.
  • Once you receive your VA COE you must give a copy to the SCO at SKYCTC, Veteran Services.
  • Your VA file will then be created at SKYCTC.
  • The SKYCTC SCO will send you an email to the provided email account letting you know they received your COE.
  • You will need to complete a Benefit Initiation Disclosure (BID) form. This should be done at the same time or soon after you have applied for Admission to SKYCTC.
  • Once you receive an a SKYCTC acceptance email from admissions, please contact the SCO.
  • After you have completed these steps you will enroll in classes for the semester and will complete an Enrollment Certification Request (ECR) form.
  • You MUST complete an ECR form BEFORE each semester, soon after you enroll.
  • You MUST let the SCO know if you
    • If you change your classes
    • Drop your classes
    • Withdraw during any semester
  • Failure to do so can result in delayed benefits and problems with the VA.

Yes, VA Pamphlets can be found online at the VA Benefits Handouts website.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at